Arte de la Vida and Galería Senita are proud to present the “Lotería de Tucson 2018”. Loteria de Tucson is loosely based on the iconic and popular Mexican Loteria card game with 54 cards with a different richly illustrated image and number on each card.
“Lotería de Tucson 2018” is a juried competition to create a deck of Lotería de Tucson cards that will represent the unique nature of The Old Pueblo as it was long ago and as it is today. Three female community leaders, whose identities will be revealed after the artists have been selected, and the Owners of Arte de La Vida, James Goodreau and Kevin Pawlak, have chosen titles for 54 Lotería de Tucson cards that represent places, plants, people, food and the history of Tucson. They have only chosen the name/title of the image, not the image itself. Each title was also assigned a number as every image in a traditional deck has a number.
A maximum of 54 artists will be chosen by Gallery owners, James and Kevin. The artists will create a two dimensional art piece to be displayed and available for purchase from October 6th — November 24, 2018 at Galería Senita inside Arte de la Vida, 37 North Tucson Boulevard, Tucson, Arizona.
The 54 art pieces will also be photographed and printed and combined into a Lotería de Tucson card deck that will be sold during the exhibition and after. All proceeds from the sale of the Loteria decks will go to the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona. Arte de la Vida/Galería Senita will NOT profit from the sale of the decks. Artists will be given an opportunity to buy a number of the Lotería de Tucson decks at wholesale costs. Interest will dictate the amount of decks printed.
In Order to Apply to Participate: Artists must have either been born or currently live in the Tucson Metro area or Southern Arizona; or resided in Tucson for any given period of their life; or have a strong connection to our Beloved Community.
How Will It Work?
· June 16, 2018 by 5:00 pm, Artists must apply to participate by emailing their full artist name, physical address, and 2 — 3 digital images of their current body of work to:
· June 23, 2018, Artists will be notified whether they have or have not been selected to participate and invited to submit a piece of art.
· June 30, 2018, at 5:00 pm at Galería Senita, 41 North Tucson Blvd, the artists who were chosen to participate will draw from a hat the title and number of their Lotería de Tucson card. It’s a lot of fun and afterwards artists may trade cards if they would like. If you cannot attend the card selection event, a card will be chosen for you.
· August 24, 2018, by 4:00 pm, the finished piece must be delivered to Galería Senita, 41 North Tucson Blvd. Submission of your art work indicates your permission to photograph and reproduce it as part of the Lotería de Tucson card deck.
The requirements for the finished art piece are:
· The finished piece must incorporate the title and number of the card that the artist drew at the card selection event.
· The artist is encouraged to demonstrate their signature style in any 2-D medium they prefer to work in.
· Artwork must be “gallery install ready” and measure exactly 11 inches horizontally and 14 inches vertically. No exceptions. No added frame measurements and the piece many not be smaller than 11 X 14.
· All Artwork must be priced $400 or less. Galería Senita takes a 40% commission.
· Galería Senita reserves the right to withdraw your work for consideration in exhibition.
· Between August 24 and October 5, the art pieces will be photographed and printed into Lotería de Tucson decks. Show Installed in grid presentation on two gallery walls.
· October 5, 2018, 6:00 to 8:30 — Charity Opening Reception… All artists will be given one free ticket. Additional tickets will be $25 each to include food, beverages and live music. Ticket sale proceeds will be donated to Tucson charities chosen by the three community leaders. There will also be raffles and donation options for guests this event. Lotería de Tucson card decks will be available for sale at the event.
· October 6 — Show Opens to the Public and the gallery will have extended hours for First Saturday Art Walk (no food or beverages on Saturday.)
· November 24 The show closes at 5:00 pm